Paths and Planting Near Compost Heaps

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Paths and Planting Near Compost Heaps

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sausage
    Participant

A couple of questions. How wide are the paths in the small garden project at Homeacres? They look quite narrow in the videos and I wondered how well they work?

Is it a really bad idea to have a bed next to compost? Have just cleared some ground next to the compost heap and I am thinking of growing squash there, if it isn’t really stupid?

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi Sausage. I can’t comment on the paths bunthink that squashes will love being next to the compost heap. Some people even plant squash or courgettes on their heaps!

Sausage
    Participant

Thanks Gwynleg!

Cleansweep
    Participant

Yes you could but….
    Unless you have several, seperate heaps you may find that you are jepordising the plants by the (hopefully) frequent visits to build and turn the heaps.Also, in my plot, the only place slugs are tolerated is within the composting area, as they are a composting mechanism. They will enjoy squash. If you have a composting heap of FYM, then if you are not using it this season, it may be a suitable site for them. I would deposit a large bucketfull of compost for each plant and plant within that. You will find the squash roots will penetrate well into the heap.
    Cleansweep

Sausage
    Participant

Thanks Cleansweep. That’s what I was worried about really, slugs I mean. Admittedly the space is next to the heap and not in it, but I don’t know if that makes a difference?

Cleansweep
    Participant

Have slime -will travel!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags