Paths between raised beds

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Paths between raised beds

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ElizaD
    Participant

Hi there

Between my small raised beds and a long border against fencing are paths that are either soil or grass. In places the grass and soil paths are both becoming more mossy and I am wondering whether to skim off the grass and scatter gravel or bark over all the paths. I do not have enough compost to put on paths and beds.

I would like advice on whether to bother putting a membrane down before covering with gravel or bark or whether a rough covering of either would suffice to keep things looking reasonably neat. I do not wish to encourage slugs so would gravel be better?

Any advice appreciated.

charles

Do your beds have sides Eliza as that influences what mulch to use?

ElizaD
    Participant

Yes, my raised beds have six inch high wooden sides and the long border running along the fence is edged with wood too. The pathways are about 18″ wide.

charles

Well I think that gravel is poor for soil and also hard to weed, membranes on paths tend to get covered and disappear into soil, and bark lets weeds grow through unless you use a lot. Its also a question of what you like to look at.
    I have a lot of paths here and do most of the weeding myself and its not onerous at all, they have compost on top. Unless the bark is free, I would buy compost.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I have access to some bark which I may use in one area but think I will buy in some compost for other paths then, particularly where the paths meet grass – I have remembered that where I once used some free bark on a border adjoining grass blackbirds did a wonderful job of flinging most of it across the lawn!

Leif
    Participant

Whenever I put down either compost, spent hops, or hedge shreddings, the blackbirds spread them everywhere while snuffling. I have granite paving slabs, which keep my shoes clean. Next time round I would use the stone effect slabs you see in garden centres and Wickes. They do become irregular as the soil moves, but who cares. I imagine bark and compost are much easier to put down.

Don Foley
    Participant

I use Bark on bare soil between my raised Beds as I like the look of it. I usually get 2 – 3 years out of it before I need to top it up. But as Charles says the weeds can come through it.

Don.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags