Pea shoots

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Pea shoots

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Poolfield

I was wondering is anyone else growing peashoots as a salad ingredient?

I planted some on 21st September indoors on the window sill and they are now over 2″ tall and I was wondering if I let them get tall enough before I cut them will they regrow?

charles

I would say that six inches is a minimum before cutting or pinching out, if you want reasonably healthy and vigorous regrowth, which will be slow at this time of year. They are most worthwhile as a spring crop, sown from November until April, but a few shoots in late autumn and winter will be special!

Poolfield

I am planning on keeping myself in peashoots through the winter by growing tray after tray on various window sills and then when I have taken the first cut I’ll pop them in the polytunnel for their slow regrowth.

I am using dried peas that were intended for soaking and cooking and they germinated really quickly indoors and they were really cheap at £1.56 kg

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Hi Charles,

my pea shoots on the hotbed are looking ready for planting – i shall put some in the tunnel , but is it worth planting some outside under a cloche or fleece?

I shall be sowing some now for outdoor planting in a couple of weeks anyway,

Dan

charles

Yes peas are good to plant out now, especially if fleeced. The weather is looking much more favourable for them than last March when I planted some just before that four weeks of icy winds, but a third survived nonetheless

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags