Perennial weeds and starting up

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Perennial weeds and starting up

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gwynleg 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi. I have tennis elbow and a new allotment! There are lots of perennial weeds including huge nettle rootswhich are really hard to get out, couch and bindweed. Even with help digging, progress is extremely slow and I wont be able to continue. I know that ideally I would dig these out but could I put lots of cardboard and manure ( would enlist help for that) and hope that the weeds would be suppressed?

charles

Hi Gwynleg and yes, mulching perennial weeds is the way to go, see this video for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmv2zGfhG8w
    I suggest getting your plot level before mulching.

Gwynleg
    Participant

Hi thanks for this. Can I level with mulch? I would need a lot more to level the whole plot so can imagine dividing it up and doing a section at a time. Hopefully then by winter I would have another more of a handle on it. Another suggestion I’ve been given is to rotovate first (to level) and then mulch. That would obviously propagate lots of weeeds but would they then equally be suppressed by the mulch ? Thanks – I’m a bit desperate at this time of the year!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags