Permanent blueberry bed

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Permanent blueberry bed

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nelllo 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

stu
    Participant

By this time next yr I would like my 4 blueberry bushes that are currently in pots growing in a permanent bed. My question is should I dig out out soil to approx 30 cm deep and add ericaceous compost mixed with leaf mould and sand/grit. Or can I can sulfur chips to current soil to lower the pH as my soil is alkaline

ElizaD
    Participant

Stu,

Did you find an answer to your question? I ask because I am also thinking of planting my 3 blueberries presently in pots even though I am getting good cropping from them. It would just be easier – less watering.

Regards
    Eliza

charles

Stu, I don’t know, have never used sulphur.
    It depends how alkaline your soil is. On pH 7.7 I simply added 6in ericaeous on top, then blueberry plants faded after two summers.

stu
    Participant

I think I’m going to dig out 30 cm and put in a plastic weed suppressant then replace with ericaceous compost and mix with rotted leaf mould and pine needles then each yr top up and see how that works

charles

I don’t like the thought of plastic sheeting buried in soil, what about worms and other soil life?

stu
    Participant

Several layers of thick cardboard just to temporarily stop soils mixing. Then if I yearly top up with ericaceous hopefully that will work

charles

Yes good plan Stu

Nelllo
    Participant

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how to make ericaceous compost (rather than buying it in plastic bags..)?
    Nell

Kev
    Participant

Bracken makes an acidic compost when it decomposes. If you cut it in summer while it is still green but not soft, it shreds well and rots down quite fast.

Nelllo
    Participant

Thank you! We have some bracken in our garden so will definitely use it for the blueberries. I’ve also been told that Monty Don says you can lay partially rotted bracken around the bushes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags