Pets in garden

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Pets in garden

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  davidk 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Beth
    Participant

Hi there, my son, who is 18, would really like to get a dog.  We have never owned one.  I am wanting to convert most of our yard to garden beds, although there will be several smaller patches of lawn in shady areas.  I am worried about them digging up the veggies in the beds.  Do many of you serious gardeners have dogs?  I don’t want to have to fence off all of my gardening areas.  I would prefer an older dog rather than a puppy if possible who is already housebroken.

charles

I think you will be ok, apart from puppies which have little sense of respect for anything really! My dogs never dug a lot, it was more whether they walked on plants or crashed through them. After a while you can train them not to…

bluebell
    Participant

Some breeds such as terriers are much more disposed to digging than others. That said they can all be trained and my younges Lab is very happy to spend hours up at the allotment just watching me work.

Where you may run in to trouble is if you do as some people and allow the dog unsupervised access – the devil makes work for idle and unsupervised paws!

davidk
    Participant

My dog Audrey has visited Charles’s garden, I don’t think she got into too much trouble & I think Steph fell for her & took pictures too! She has loads of training(Audrey) & will chase all sorts & great for keeping cats from poohing who do @ night.

Shame neither like slugs, now that would great!!

I think raised beds help too, a small boundry which what dogs like, you are the boss & they like/want that too!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags