PH in Compost

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tdcanam
    Participant

I have just this fall built up my garden. I used all mushroom compost and most of the beds are 6 inches deep. I then covered the 100′ X 100′ area with silage tarps. I was informed that mushroom compost is high in acid and I should reconsider using the tarps for occulation and let the rain and snow wash the acidity from the compost. Do you feel this is true?
    Also, considering my Canadian climate, our winters get as low as -35 with the windchill. Would this difference in temp between our climates change the way I use compost? To clarify, since you have a month of warmer weather than I in fall and in spring, and my winters get much colder, would a 6 inch layer of mulch take much longer for the worms to break down due to the cold soil temps? Would this also change the way you would handle a high acid compost, seeing that microbes and worms move slower over the colder Canadian winters?

charles

Ah no no, wherever does this idea of “acid mushroom compost” come from!
    Ph of compost is almost never an issue, no worries and I reckon yours is pH 6.8 to 8.5, depending whether they capped the mushroom beds with chalk.
    I have used 8.5 compost on soil of pH 7,8, everything grew fine.

Yes your season is shorter, probably faster when it happens and your microbes.worms will get busy + be helped by the mulch.
    Enjoy your winter, the ground is improving.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags