PH of 5.5 for Commercial Cut Flowers

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground PH of 5.5 for Commercial Cut Flowers

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jane 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Jane
    Participant

Hi Charles – I know you are busy but I would really appreciate your advice before I launch into my new site. I have been growing vegetables no-dig successfully for a number of years for personal use and understand the methods (thank you for all you have taught me it is a godsend!). I am about to develop a 1 1/2 acre plot of cut flowers commercially on my daughters farm this spring using no-dig methods and have many bare root plants ready to go in the ground including roses. I have just performed a soil test which has a PH of 5.5 and I have no past experience of growing in these conditions ( my ground for the veg is 7). I have been advised to spread lime on the ground so two questions: 1) If I have 4-6 inches of compost over cardboard will the acidity have a detrimental affect on the flowers (obviously quite a lot of investment going in here and I need to see a return this year). 2) would it be wise to till in some lime initially and then put cardboard and compost down and continue thereafter with no dig methods, letting the added compost do the work in the future. i’m aware I may need to leave it a while before planting into this because of the lime and I’m also worried about disrupting mycorrhizal fungi and having a weed infestation!. Many thanks in anticipation! Jane

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags