Pigeon protection over a large area

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Pigeon protection over a large area

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I know from past experience that pigeon love my PSB but always struggle to put the netting high enough to stop them sitting on it to weight it down and allow them access to the tops.
    This year to make life even more difficult I have planted in a much bigger block than usual and I will struggle to cover with netting, so I was wondering if any of the shiny tapes etc that you can buy or any home made scare’s are effective?

lizcolvin
    Participant

Plastic hawks, suspended over plants, but you have to move them every week or so, otherwise they twig they aren’t real.

charles

I have the same thing Bluebell, a large area pf psb, am thinking to try cotton thread tied across in zig zags, though it may annoy me too!

RandA
    Participant

You could try making a fake gun I have heard that this can be very effective. Round by us we suffer with lots of shooting , both a military base and locals shooting at rabbits. and this seems to scare the pigeons off, I hope that is the reason anyway.

bluebell
    Participant

R&A
    Don’t think that would be very popular with the neighbours! If we didn’t have neighbours I would be out with a real one 😉

Suella
    Participant

Hi.
    I appreciate the problem.

I plan to use fishing line on taller old gazebo upright criss-crossed over my already netted plants. That seems to stop that sort of damage. Inexpensive and with shiny CDs dangling also easy to remove by cutting and/or breaking.

If you make the poles above head height it is easier t get in and weed when necessary.

Asking for second hand gazebo poles on freecycle est means I can build made to measure cages that are moveable with crop rotation..

bluebell
    Participant

I have repurposed just removed bean poles and ordered both a whistling string and some shiny tape which neighbouring plot holders have used successfully. Will try to install so it is still possible to weed.
    Decided against fishing line as I think I would get tangled in it as may the birds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags