Pinching out Passandra cucumber

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Pinching out Passandra cucumber

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

MPG
    Participant

Hi, I have 2 varieties of cucumbers in my polytunnel: Passandra and Marketmore. It was easy to pinch out Marketmore as I can clearly identify the cucumber and the side shoot along the main stem. Passandra is very different. Could someone advice please? I’ve attached a photo. Thanks, Luciole

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

charles

Luciole everything that is not cucumber is either side shoot, or occasionally a male flower.
    The cucumbers are shorter hence your worry. Just rub off anything that is not a tiny cucumber with flower bud on its end.

John Ward
    Participant

I am growing a Perfection ridge cucumber in my greenhouse. It has several embryonic fruit on it, am I alright rubbing out the male flowers which are next to the fruit. ? Also can I feed it with Epsom salts (given by a friend)

MPG
    Participant

Thank you Charles for your advice. I feel still quite confused because little cucumbers seem to grow more on side shoots rather than on the main stem (unlike Market More) but I might get familiar with this!

charles

How strange, and in your photo the fruit is coming out of the stem?
    Passandra does that for me.

charles

John there is no need to pinch male flowers from ridge cucumbers, just let it do it’s thing.
    I see no advantage from using Epsom Salts and would avoid it if it was me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags