Plant garlic & cover with rotted manure

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Plant garlic & cover with rotted manure

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bigron 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bigron
    Participant

I have given up an allotment that I got 4 months ago and put a lot of work in to. Brushcut all the massive weeds and covered with polythene. Then one came up that is 50 yards from my front door. There are two together and I will share resources with the other chap.

Anyway the ‘new’ allotment has beds all organised. I will be doing ‘no-dig’. It has previously been a dig allotment.

My query is that I want to get garlic planted but not sure if I should plant it then cover with well rotted horse manure that I have access to. Here are a couple of photos.

charles

Yes Ron, well decomposed horse manure is a good mulch for soil generally and for garlic, after planting. That dug over soil will be happy that you are going no dig.

Rhys
    Participant

Ron

I had an excellent garlic crop this summer from doing as you suggest, although I used compost containing some manure as a starting component. I bet your way will work really well.

bigron
    Participant

Excellent thank you.

I was given about 5 elephant garlic cloves and I have ordered, some early purple and some Solent Wight to share with my cousin.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags