plant labels

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  davidk 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Hi I was wondering what method of labelling you would recommend?

I like the birch labels as they are generally still legible when I need to remind myself what it is I planted. But they tend to bio degrade a bit too fast for over wintering crops. White plastic labels are less pleasing as they invariably end up in the compost heap some how and the birds appear to love pulling them out of the ground. Also I find tend to have the writing, even with an indelible pen, tends to fade after a winter in the ground.

charles

Whatever you write on you need an indelible pen and Derry Watkins of Special Plants stocks them. Mine is two years old and the writing is legible for a year, see http://www.specialplants.net/shop/gardening_accessories/

They are £2.50 and worth every penny.

As for labels, I do use plastic mostly but also find lollipop labels are ok, if small. Your birch may be good with the new pen.

peat
    Participant

One of the first items I was told to buy when I started a horticultural course was a 3b pencil. I still have labels from 5 or 6 years ago that are still legible. The other advantage is that a wet thumb rubbed in dust will easily clean the label.
    Pete

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks to both of you, it is clearly the pen I need and then next year I will know which varieties have been good – hopefully!

charles

Do let us know what has grown well for you Bluebell.

jjat8cv
    Participant

I use a strip of Poundland’s bamboo garden edging. It’s easy to unwind the wire and this gives you approx 35 bamboo labels 1in x 8in with a convenient point at one end. I use a Sharpie fine point permanent marker to write on them. Hope this helps.

what is a 3b pensil ?

peat
    Participant

pencils are rated on the hardness of the graphite. 5H is hard 5b is soft.
    Pete

davidk
    Participant

I’ve tried writing on them, I’ve even seen some lovely copper ones.

I’m going to try carving my labels in future!(on wood)(plenty of scrap about to practice on!)
    Might have to abbreviate sometimes!!

Might do it for Apple Trees too whose Labels are fast disappearing like my memory!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags