Planting asparagus in a raised bed?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Planting asparagus in a raised bed?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  grannyjanny 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

grannyjanny
    Participant

What’s the best way to plant asparagus in a raised bed, would it still need to be planted on mounds? We do have bindweed & horsetail but hand weed it out.

charles

Well asparagus roots do not like to lie wet so if your soil is at all boggy, mounds are a good idea, otherwise plant on a normal raised bed with a level surface.

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles. It’s a light sandy soil so on the flat it is. As asparagus takes a while to establish, they are 2 year old Mary Washington crowns, would you advocate planting anything within the bed? We only have a half plot so space needs to be used wisely.

ladbrokes

i ve just eaten my 1st ever home grown spear after 2 yrs (raw) boy it was good. going to get 6 more crowns and expand the bed

charles

Sounds good Ladbrokes. For grannyjanny I would say you can grow salads, carrots, any small vegetables esp. ones you plant now, in the first year between establishing asparagus.

GMLetts
    Participant

Agreed. I planted 6 crowns a couple years ago. I get a couple of spears per day in season. None of them make it inside!

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles. We can’t wait to taste it. I’m relooking at the home garden now & will take out anything that doesn’t earn its place so I can get more fruit & veg in.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags