Planting garlic in clean ground

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Planting garlic in clean ground

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Susanna_waters
    Participant

We are preparing the ground (of a lot of weeds and grass…no couch) with loads of cow manure, but have 2 beds of clean soil from a recent carrot harvest. Would it be better to plant garlic straight into the clean ground then put the muck ontop, or cover with muck then plant garlic in? The muck is 18 months old but quite wet. We haven’t got hold of any municipal compost yet.

Thanks if anyone can help
    Ted

Nightgardener
    Participant

I always mulch my garlic, but not until it’s come up with an inch or so of green stem. My logic is that if I mulch first the little if any of the garlic is in soil as opposed to the mulch (and you don’t want your garlic sitting in wet mulch) but if I mulch straight after then the bulb gets buried.

charles

I plant garlic in clean soil and mulch straightaway with year old compost or manure. If it is wet, it tends to become less soggy all the time from being exposed to air, but break up larger lumps with a manure fork so it is tennis ball size or smaller, not in big wadges. I fond garlic is happy to push through the surface mulch but often doesn’t appear until the new year (my variety that is, there are earlier ones). Good luck with it Susanna.

Stringfellow
    Participant

I planted my garlic back in October and then covered the bed with about an inch or so of spent mushroom compost, following the guidance in HTGWV. They broke thru a couple of weeks since – it is reassuring to see them. I also, just for a brief moment each time I see them in the plot, get a sense of the spring ahead; it’s an aspect of gardening that I like at this time of year.

The varieties are Elephant and Avignon Wight. Also, the gourmet shallots are just poking thru too, all from The Garlic Farm. Best of luck with yours.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags