PLANTING OUT TOMATOES IN A POLYTUNNEL

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing PLANTING OUT TOMATOES IN A POLYTUNNEL

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Don Foley 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

markspearce
    Participant

Hi Charles
    Is it too early to plant out Tomatoes in a polytunnel as the night temperature will be 6 to 7 for three night from Wednesday or will it be fine .I live in Wellington ,somerset,also why do books always say plant out when the first flower is out? for Tomatoes aubergines etc.

charles

Mark, yes I would plant, unless you have plenty of space in your propagating area, and the plants are in large pots with the chance to grow more.
    Otherwise they are better in the ground, it will be warm by day. Tomatoes are more hardy than aubergines etc.
    As so often, advice is given without a reason: before flowers set is good, or if there are little fruits I would cut them off as plants need energy to settle and grow when recently planted, not to go straight into fruiting.

RandA
    Participant

GOOD Morning Mark and Charles

I live just across the Severn sea from you and my tomatoes re doing great in the polytunnel I planted out over a week ago so all is good so far.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Mark,

The main issue with Tomatoes with regard to temperature is variation vis a vis Day/Night.
    A big drop from daytime temps will cause the leaves to curl and I believe has an effect on taste.
    I would suggest you leave the door/s of the tunnel open during the days you expect the low night time temps to minimise the temp variation.
    I have not come across the suggestion to plant out when first flowers appear. It is best to plant out after your last expected frost date – not an issue for you with the tunnel at this time of year normally – and to start feeding when first flowers appear.

Don.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags