Planting squash between rows of kale/autumn cabbage

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Planting squash between rows of kale/autumn cabbage

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  RedSkyOrganics 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

Is this a bad idea?

I have 1 butternut squash plant needing a home and the only currently available space is a bed where the kale and cabbage will be planted out in a few weeks time. The squash will run riot and I’m concerned it might swamp the brassicas. Has anybody tried this already?

Thanks

Compostpope

charles

This sounds risky to me and above all i would not plant Butternut which will indeed be rampant and probably produce little fruit unless,,, it is a hot summer!

SpadelessAde
    Participant

What about growing the butternut squash up a wigwam of canes – would that mean it might have enough space, or would it still be competing too much for nutrients from the kale/cabbage?

charles

You could try that, if the plot is not too windy, and soil needs to be rich. And it would be better with Uchiki Kuri!

bluebell
    Participant

A butternut would probably do well on your compost heap if you have run out of space elsewhere.

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks Charles – point taken about rampaging butternut – we have longer and hotter summers here than in the UK and it always does well for me.

I will have to rearrange my planting scheme. Could you suggest an alternative crop (other than salad) to go between brassicas whilst they are steadily growing throughout the summer?

Compostpope

Ros

I find this a problem – I always want to use the compost before the squash is ready – I have has success though by planting one on leaf mould pile – just made a hole put in a couple of spades worth of manure or compost, planted the squash and then covered the compost with leaves. Somehow it is later than with compost that I wasnt to use the contents of the heap!

bluebell
    Participant

It only works for me because I generally have at least 2 compost heaps plus manure piles

charles

Bluebell, best if you click on ‘reply’ below the comment you are answering, which is Ros’s here, not Compostpope’s

compostpope
    Participant

Hi Charles,

I’ve got four compost heaps which I turn regularly to generate enough compost and as the wife refuses to let me have another simply to grow a squash I’ve planted the Butternut in the space I’d reserved for peppers and oboes – could they go between the kale and cabbage?

Compostpope

charles

Well sometimes you just have to try things and see. If you can keep the kale and cabbage in good health amongst the cucurbit leaves until October when the squash dies off, they would then grow fast. Best if it is a late cabbage such as January King or winter savoy.

Roger Brook

It does not seem a good idea to me to let vigorous cucurbits overgrow brassicas in the hope that the brassicas will catch up after being overgrown when the squashes die off-which could well be in late october! I plant my cucurbits where they can overgrow soil vacated after early potatoes, broadbeans or whatever has finished early cropping. Personally I like to leave the remains of such as broad beans in situ to recycle organic matter. For those who are tidy minded the cucurbits cover up their decaying remains.

I planted brussels sprouts between squash (butternut and pattypan). I have just put a covering of compost on the beds and the sprouts survived. Cannot compare to different placement unfortunately.

I have had an overwintering kale Cavallo de Nero, planted the previous autumn, which is huge, very tall, that would not have had a problem in the squash bed. Broccoli too, but not the calabrese type.

To satisfy the hunger of squash I have sometimes made a bucket sized hole, filled with compost. If you plan ahead you can even fill the hole directly with kitchen scraps and cover with earth. The worms take care of it until the roots reach down.

I usually do a three sisters bed: sweetcorn, squash and beans. Be careful not to use a too vigorous bean though my corn stalks were pulled down one year.

This is what I am going to be doing with my future crops. Growing only varieties of Squash/Pumpkins, Cucumbers and Watermelons that can be trellised so that it also provides some semi shade to leafy greens, which grow best in dappled sun light.

The primary reason is it offers more growing space for other plants and can help create different micro climates within the garden beds.

Derek Fell’s book on Vertical Gardening was excellent resource for vertical gardening, jam packed with ideas on the what to grow and how to do it.

Also, I’m 50 now and I don’t want to ruin my back by always bending for everything. If it can be trellised it will be. :-) If not then… a bending we will do.

Charles I do like your suggestion of pumpkin/squash in this string of posts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags