Planting Sweet Peppers with Hot Peppers

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Planting Sweet Peppers with Hot Peppers

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Tommy Ryan 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tommy Ryan
    Participant

Is there any problem with planting sweet peppers right next to hot peppers. I know that it could be a problem when collecting seeds, but I will not be collecting seeds. I just do not want to effect the taste of the fruit on the plant. I think the fruit of that year is fine, but the seed could be effected.

If I do need space between varieties of peppers, then how much space.

charles

Tommy you have answered it – only the seeds are affected by cross pollination.
    Fruits of each variety stay distinct and true, the same as when you grow two varieties of squash together.

Tommy Ryan
    Participant

Thanks Charles! I was thinking that was so. I did go through the forum and noticed a similar topic on squash, but did see some discussion on the impact of cross pollination on corn. Is corn the only crop that needs distance between varieties?

charles

Corn is the main veg where (a) our crop is the seed and (b) cross pollination happens readily. It could be an issue with some beans though I find that rare.

Tommy Ryan
    Participant

Thanks Charles. That will help with my garden planning. I always wondered about this and was not sure about experiences where peppers were hotter than expected when planted near hotter varieties. One year I planted a scotch bonnet (habanero) next to a jalapeño and I thought it was the hottest jalapeño I ever grew (so it “planted a seed” in my mind that cross pollination could effect the taste of the fruit). Good to get that cleared up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags