Poly tunnel watering regime after clearing tomatoes

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Poly tunnel watering regime after clearing tomatoes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles

I stopped watering in the tunnel a few weeks ago and almost all of the tomatoes have ripened. After clearing and preparing for planting salads I notice that the ground is very dry. Do you soak the whole tunnel before planting or just water the new plantings as and when needed?

I wonder if the ground under the tunnel gets topped up by the winter rains, moving laterally through the soil via ground water seepage and throughflow (the old Geography notes are coming back to me!) or does the tunnel usually need a good soaking in the spring before clearing winter crops and planting tomatoes? My tunnel is on a gentle slope, both sideways and lengthways, and the polythene is buried one foot deep although the base of it is punctured.

Best wishes

John

charles

Yes John I find it best to soak the soil thoroughly before planting, before the young plants are in place. Soak all of it.
    Then there is contact below the tunnel beds, with soil moisture outside, and after that it stays connected, so less watering in winter.
    Dry tunnel soil would make it like an island, cut off from wet outside at deeper levels.

John
    Participant

Thank you Charles.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags