Polytunnel Advice

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Polytunnel Advice

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

MarkH
    Participant

I am considering purchasing a polytunnel to extend the growing season on my allotment, Probably 20 ft x 10ft. The basic tunnels seem to be around the £5/600 mark but if you add the extra ventilation / side rails etc. the price soon shoots up. Are these extras really necessary? I am in East Yorkshire. Any help / advice much appreciated.

charles

Stick to the basics Mark, you don’t need side rails or extra ventilation. Tunnels, with doors at both ends, have plenty of airflow.
    Side-rails, as opposed to digging polythene into a trench, allow entry to weeds, slugs and rabbits!

MarkH
    Participant

Thank you for the advice, and quick response. Mark

JD
    Participant

Hi there,
    I am also thinking of buying a polytunnel. Maybe 12 x 20ft. However I’m in Cambridgeshire and the temperature last week was 34 degrees in the shade. I’m worried about ‘cooking’ any delicate plants in the obviously hotter temperature in a polytunnel. Is a door each end really enough for this temperature? This would be on an allotment and I can’t always get there to water/open/shut doors. Any other suggestions to keep temp down in extreme conditions? Thanks for help
    Jan

John
    Participant

I bought my 25’x12’tunnel from Ferryman Tunnels in Crediton, Devon. Steph had suggested them to me. I did not get any of the extras that you mention but did get crop bars and thicker section tubes as my allotment is on a windy site in Exmouth.

Charles has an excellent discussion of poly tunnels in Learn > Articles

I have one 4′ opening door and one non-opening door, otherwise they are the same with a mesh (windbreak/scaffolding netting) cover. I have made frames for polythene inserts on the doors so I can have doors with all polythene, all mesh or half and half. Both doors have a 6″ gap above so there is always minimum ventilation and a route for insects. I can’t open and close every day so I vary the amount of ventilation according to the prevailing weather season.

charles

John that looks impressive, you must be thrilled.
    I envy you those straight sides.
    Thanks for mentioning the article, it’s here

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags