Polytunnel people..

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Polytunnel people..

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  John 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

Hi there,I put my polytunnel up last summer a tad too late for toms etc.
    Following Charles advice from one of his books,we have had fantastic fresh salads througouht the winter and they are really taking off now.
    My question is though,what do you do about crop rotation especialy the tomatoes?
    I have divided the tunnel in to 3 beds with two narrow paths,I plan to grow only toms in one bed then rotate so that they will be planted back in to same bed 3 seasons later.
    I remember from being a lad, the old guys used to change their soil in their greenhouse beds or use Jeyes fluid (which I would never do) I can’t envisage me swapping out 5 tons of soil,so any advice is welcome..

Cleansweep
    Participant

I think you must work by events. Blight is said not to be persistant, arriving from afar in rain/humid conditions. Other ‘pests’ might be spidermite and fungal. Maybe a second tunnel would give you more scope……

charles

Hi Paul, nice to hear of your success.
    What I do is grow tomatoes one end one year, the other end the next year etc, so a two year “rotation”.
    Michael Kelly of GIY in Waterford, Ireland has grown tomatoes for about 8 years in a row and reports good growth.
    Blight spores cannot live in soil or compost, they need living tissue to survive, so it’s not about blight. A problem can be nematodes that eat tomato roots, and one (expensive) solution to that is buying grafted plants, or learning to graft tomatoes onto pest resistant rootstocks.
    Personally I don’t think that is worthwhile: just no dig, healthy soil with compost mulch.
    For salads, I grow lettuce family one half and brassicas/other families the other end, then swap next winter.
    And it’s better end to end, not side to side because of plant roots travelling under paths to a neighbouring bed – they go a long way.

Paul
    Participant

Thanks that seems the simplist solution,and the one I shall take..

John
    Participant

I have been planting tomatoes in the same beds for 3 years now. I mostly use composted grass on the beds. But, my polytunneld is removed at the end of the growing season and the beds are exposed to the external temperatures until may. I am thinking about a caterpillar tunnel…less materials to erect but same structure. Oh my current poly tunnel is only suitable as a temporary one, similar to something like a hoop cloche.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags