Poor Growth

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  plantmark 8 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

plantmark
    Participant

Charles,
    I am puzzled by the poor performance of my Radish sown in the greenhouse. I installed a new greenhouse in January. Dug out 2 inches of soil and replaced with Horse manure which was 9 months old and had no bedding added, it was straight off the field and stored in an open frame. At the time is was quite wet . I also added more horse manure with straw which was well rotted and I was told it is 3 years old.

I sowed Radish 3 March and was expecting lush growth, but they are most disappointing. A large variation in growth and many plants showing yellow leaves.

Do you have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Doesnt look too promising for the tomatoes this summer.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Plantmark,
    What was the ratio of fresh to well rotted manure. Fresh Horse manure like you used is detrimental to most plants.
    There is much written on this subject, mostly very scientific but, to be simplistic, fresh manure takes more from the soil then it adds to it and hence your radishes are doing poorly.
    If, as I believe your inferring, your planning on growing Toms in the same spot I personally would dig the lot out and start again. You can continue the composting process with what you’ve dug out.
    Don.

plantmark
    Participant

Is 9 months old considered fresh?
    I guess its about 25% well rotted and 75% of the newer batch.

charles

It looks ok to me, I wonder if you have some bigger lumps in there making it difficult for roots to navigate, and its moist below the surface? Photos are tricky.
    9 months is not fresh but I can see a bit more straw there than is good for small seeds. Tomatoes should be fine for example.

plantmark
    Participant

The straw is mainly on the surface. Below surface is very fine and when I placed it in the greenhouse it was very wet and I trod it in to firm which I think was a mistake?

Could the fact that the manure was very wet, mean that the composting process wasn’t completed? Or could it be that there is no air in the compost for the roots to perform properly and are therefore not taking up Nitrogen (suggested by the yellowing leaves)?

When I dig it, it is quite slimey as I hope you can see in the attached image which shows a cross section of the soil.

If it is too compacted would you recommend digging out and replacing?

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Plantmark,

I cant see from the image how slimey it is but from your description and previous photograph this manure has not completed composting and is as I suggested too fresh. Properly composted Horse manure has little or no evidence of the straw remaining which is why I suggested, based on the original photograph rather than your assertion that it is 9 months old, that it is still too fresh
    I only use Horse manure myself and in my experience it needs a minimum 12 months but preferably 18-24 months of composting depending on how and where it is stored by the Stables. The storage method is very important – hard surface and covered from the elements.
    I think your only option is to dig it out and return it to the compost bin.

Don.

charles

Yes now its clear!
    Not much evidence of 3 year old manure there. I think also that manure benefits from having some bedding to compost with, any fibrous matter and straw is ideal. Yours does look soggy and I would add it perhaps to your garden compost heap, some at a time.

plantmark
    Participant

Many thanks to you both.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags