potatoes popping up

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables potatoes popping up

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 8 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Hi I have never had this before but the potatoes that I planted under mypex are generally doing well. However some o f them appear to have pushed up out of the soil. I’m not sure if they have been helped by rats/ moles working under the mypex (we definitely have both). Or is it the potatoes themselves?

Any Idea what I should do? I They appear to still be growing but I’m not sure if replanting them may do more damage than good? Also I assume that they may just pop back up again?

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Bluebell,

I have never heard of this but from what you say I suspect it must be the moles. I assume you planted the tubers at around 6″ deep initially?

Don.

bluebell
    Participant

Yes Don about a trowels depth. So 6 inches give or take.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi again,

You have them planted at the correct depth. It has to be the Moles. Rats tend to burrow and I personally haven’t seen any other evidence, i.e., mounds, left by them. Are they present in other beds and are those beds covered.
    I’m just wondering are they being attracted to just the covered beds as these will be a couple of degrees warmer than uncovered ground.
    I’m clutching at straws here really but I’m certainly intrigued to here whats going on,
    Hopefully Charles will have an explanation.

Don.

charles

It does sound like moles and yes, pushing them back down into (what is probably) a mole run will make the moles push them up again! They should grow ok but will require extra compost to earth them up, or any other material to keep light off the tubers growing at surface level. Have fun.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi All,

I mentioned this to some of my friends in the Pub last night. The general consensus was that it is Moles.
    One of the older Gardeners amongst us (just turned 90) suggested working sprigs of Lavender under the Tubers (into the Tunnels if you can) and this will deter them from returning. Apparently they cant stand the smell.
    He also suggested earthing up the potatoes but don’t push them back down just as Charles advises. The tunnels will collapse/backfill fairly quickly with the weight of the earthing up and on going rainfall – once you have got rid of the Moles.
    Keep us posted please.

Don.

Don.

bluebell
    Participant

Thanks Don I will try the lavender, although I have a feeling it will increase activity elsewhere and probably where I least want it! Planting tomatoes in the tunnel yesterday’s and whilst I wanted to plant them quite deep I did not expect to drop one in a planting hole only for it to carry on down another 4 inches 😳 So defiantly a lot of activity.
    Someone did suggest that they have a fixed network of tunnels that they mainly use then did extra to go mating or if food runs short. So will be interesting to see which there are?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags