Poultry manure

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

In my search for cow manure for my plot I have been offered a large amount (at least one big trailer load) of poultry manure from a chicken farm. It’s apparently very old and well rotted down but I’ve not had chance to inspect it myself yet.

Does anyone have any experience of using large amounts of poultry manure? Is it as good as cow manure? Are there any dangers in using too much of it?

Regards,

Compostpope

charles

Good that it is old as the infamous “burning” effect is from young, fresh poultry manure whose nitrogen is more volatile and can overwhelm plants. If there is straw bedding that would be even better. If neat manure, I would use it in small amounts, say half inch mulch. When you see it, you will know more!

zuf
    Participant

What do you mean by that? Well composted?

charles

I mean there is no straw or other bedding.

compostpope
    Participant

It’ moist, whiffs a bit, has a few stray feathers and lots of maggots and some worms in it – sadly no straw bedding (but perhaps there was originally but it has since rotted down??) so I’m planning to use a thin layer it as you suggest and then cover with what little garden compost I have left. Given that it is so old, do you think it would still act as a compost activator?

There are actually 2 piles, one seems to older – nothing in the way of maggots, and seems very dry and almost like sandy soil. This would be much more pleasant to handle but is it still any good?

Thanks. CP

charles

Sounds promising, and I would certainly use the older lot too, it will be like adding fertile soil. 

As for compost activator, yes it needs to be fresh. Adding a bit will enrich your compost nonetheless.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags