Precision Seeders

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Precision Seeders

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Converted no digger
    Participant

I am hoping to have a market garden set up for early spring and am looking for ways to help speed things up a bit. Has anyone tried one of these precision seeders while doing the no dig method? Would imagine the surface have to be very fine for best results.

Could be a good time saver for small seeds?

chris
    Participant

I use an earthway seeder for some crops like arugula, mini kale, carrots and radishes. I mostly do no-dig and am a big fan of the stuff that Charles is doing, but my methods may be slightly different. I broad fork once in the spring (it works well with my soil), add compost and rake smooth with a 30″ landscape rake. My compost/peat is fine enough to us the seeder in.

Overall the seeders are great for small seeds, but I like Charles approach for lettuce mix. I find a carpet of lettuce planted with a seeder a good cut at first but the next cuts are not great and the product suffers.

charles

Thanks for this Seagull, and Converted do check felix_hof on Instagram, he just posted pics of a 4 row seeder, he is in Germany

Converted no digger
    Participant

It is carrots and radish seed I would be interested in getting one for aswell. Thanks for the reply’s.

Felix
    Participant

I just saw this older topic and wanted to join in.
    I have used the sembner 4row seeder a few times now and like its easy design. Works totaly fine with not digging or forking the soil. It works best when using a rake to remove any big lumps of soil/ compost.
    Regards Felix

Converted no digger
    Participant

Thats the seeder I went for myself. I wont get a chance to try it out until next spring and glad to hear it works good into a compost.

Might be worth putting a bit of extra effort into my composting during the next few months and use the nice crumbly type for the beds that I will be using the seeder on.

Rhys
    Participant

Felix – does this allow you to vary row spacing or is it a standard tool just for certain crops?

I was wondering about parsnip in bin 1 and radish bins 2 to 4 with a 10cm space beteeen rows (so 40cm between rows of parsnip)? Or would the parsnip seeds be too big?

Presumably it is ideal for carrot/radish/carrot/radish if carrots harvested young and early, using a standard 5cm between rows?

Felix
    Participant

Hey Rhys,
    Yes it allows vary row spacing when using every other seed container or even just one. There are different hole sizes and brush settings to choose from: radish and parsnips will require a different one.
    Although it must be said that this seeder is best for small seeds and parsnip seeds might get crushed up or destroy the brushes. There is also a sembner seeder 1K with just one row and two seed rolls that come with it which might be better for this job.
    Hope this helps.
    Best, Felix

Rhys
    Participant

Thanks Felix, I was just trying to get a feel for what the seeder could do. The 1K’s price makes it suitable only for professionals, whereas the 4K may be worth it for an amateur.

I think it will be very good for sowing radish in the spring, carrots through the season.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags