Preparation time for no-dig garden?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Preparation time for no-dig garden?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  arkadius 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

arkadius
    Participant

Hello Charles, I am about to start gardening with using the principles of no-dig gardening. I have a garden where alfalfa has been grown for several years. last october the soil has been plowed and fresh cow manure (i know this is not the best thing, well decomposted would be better) has been applied into the soil. I know this is in contrary to no-dig method, my fault. Now to my question, can i simply apply compost now in april on the surface in a layer of 10 cm and start direct sowing or should i wait? would this be enough to kill possible weeds and allow me to start planting? i really want to start growing vegetables this way but i am not shure if i am not gonna do more harm. thank you in advance!

charles

Yes Arkadius just start from where you are. That is quite a story!
    I hope your alfalfa is not going to regrow so it’s a lesser issue of new weeeds to mulch, which means less compost. 10cm sounds fine, then sow and plant straightaway.
    I would level the surface first, before spreading compost, and remove any still-growing clumps of weed.

arkadius
    Participant

Thank you, one more question. Do you think there can be a problem with using cow manure tilled into soil and the layer of compost on the top? Too much nitrogen? Can it burn the seedlings?

charles

arkadius I do not understand you asking that question, when this whole site is about growing wonderful veg in soil dressed with compost.
    I would read through some of the posts here to reassure yourself. We are talking compost,as you say in your first comment above, not fresh manure.

arkadius
    Participant

Charles, i do get the principles of no dig and using componst as a top layer. In my first post i have mentioned that a cow manure has been tilled into soil in end of october. Thats why i am asking if that could do any harm? Thnak you

charles

Yes I see, so many people worry about the supposed harm of surface compost. You have some tilled in fresh as well.
    I don’t see any problem in your case, your soil will cope and so will your plants, growth may be a little more lush.
    Compost does not have free, water soluble nitrogen and does not burn roots or leaves.

arkadius
    Participant

Charles, i have 26 m3 of goat compost. I was told it is at least 3 years old. Can you tell me if this is right from photos? I am not shure because i see also some straw elements that are not completely composted. Maybe from the bottom of the heap…

arkadius
    Participant

Photo

arkadius
    Participant

Photo again

arkadius
    Participant

Cannot upload photo, too big

arkadius
    Participant

Nevermind, is it ok that i still smell the compost? I can dedinately tell that i can smell poop. I thought i was supposed to smell nothing.

charles

Shame you can’t upload a photo, you need to reduce their size.
    Visible brown/dark colour straw is fine, and the smell may be a little goaty if there are pockets where it has been anaerobic.
    Lack of air halts decomposition and this may have happened in pockets or generally. For many years sometimes.
    Farmers are not compost makers.
    Much of it is probably good.

arkadius
    Participant

Here is a link to photo…yes there are some lumps which i think are not totally decomposted.

View post on imgur.com

charles

Looks fine to me Arkadius, really fine.

arkadius
    Participant

Here are those lumps with straw

View post on imgur.com

Does the goaty smell mean sometging? Can i plant and sow into this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags