Preparing the ground for a new polytunnel

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Preparing the ground for a new polytunnel

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kevin WW

Apologies if this has all been covered before. I have just completed construction of the frame of a new 14’x30′ polytunnel (no polythene yet as it isn’t warm enough to stretch over the frame!)and I have low cut ex-lawn inside the frame. I intend to have 3′ beds down both sides and one 3′ bed down the middle with a 2’6″ path around it. I was going to dig or rotovate the entire patch and heap up the path’s topsoil on the beds, but all the information from Charles and others here indicates that I do not need to do this. I have access to lots and lots of well rotted horse manure so do I just pile this where I want the beds and plant into those or do I need compost as well to make sure any seeds do not get lost in the larger lumps of manure? This would leave grass paths-is this worse than mulch paths in that it may encourage more slugs or will constant foot traffic keep the grass down enough?

I have black mulch on my veg garden paths which works very well.

Many thanks,

Kevin WW

charles

All correct bvut do not have grass paths: grass is invasive and harbours slugs, you want bare soil with some compost on top so black poly for a few months initially (oaths only) will be good. Firm the manure down on the beds, 4-6", then spread an inch or so of reasonably fine compost on top of it, you can then sow and plant straightaway, I even did that with carrots this April.

Good luck.

Hi Kevin, I constructed a new 14×28 tunnel this winter and managed to get it covered in the one hot week of March. I ordered a base rail kit instead of burying the polythene in a trench this time and it made covering a lot easier, no more digging trenches which is good on a no dig garden! You need to have used concrete or base plates on foundation tubes otherwise the structure may lift in wind. Might be worth a look a first tunnels site if you haven’t already.
    Robin

Kevin WW

Many thanks Charles and Robin. Very useful advice.

I’ll just swim out and see if the frame is still there!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags