Preparing the Ground

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Preparing the Ground

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stevie342000 13 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stevie342000

Hello et Al

Afraid I have been playing devils advocate by posting on this website, it was the intention to prove the theory wrong that growing e.g organic growing is not as it is perceived. Unfortunately this has turned out to be true in some cases. My name has never been Stevie it is Steve. As pointed out in early posts.

The intention was to find out more about the No Dig principle but only to find that its proponents are exactly as perceived by the wider population. All very home spun and deadly earnest vegetarians. Am I wrong? Should we do a survey of the members? Are the majority who visit this site not middle class?

Unfortunately I find the majority in this case nauseating, as we are in the worthy poor area, trying to inform and modelling the great unwashed to turn out just like our little Tristan or Zoe.

FYI we already have a website and several blogs, it was an experiment in terror by posting here. Having been a member of several blogs as it was decided to revamp our website and blogs. Having concluded my research in this blog as an active member, I can now report back to the other members of the group. Using this information from all the sites I visit or active in so that our forum/blog is more inclusive and is not restrictive in any way.

Oh dear I see to have outed myself, have no fear I shall not post here again ((unless provoked)as I suspect my membership will be revoked)). it would be interesting to see if that perception is wrong and just how long the posts will remain here for all to see.

However we may purchase the books as they come with less twittering and can not answer back in a condescending manner.

I did my research and this forum is not for me, too many members see themselves as worthies but what do they really do in the real world?

I work in community development (as a volunteer)and use growing as a development tool and we do not take a prescriptive approach. We consult our clients and base our work upon support whilst incorporating their ideas and using our knowledge. We are not so rigid in our approach.

Rebecca

Hello Steve,
    I am new to this forum and yours was the first post I have read. You seem very angry! I am sure everyone who is interested enough to post here must be trying their best to grow things without messing up either the land or the people who depend upon it. As to being ‘middle class’, there is some doubt as to whether that label still means anything, though I understand you use it as a term of abuse. As to being ‘worthy’, worthy of what I wonder? I just want to grow some veg without killing myself digging and without killing the creatures I share the patch with.
    It would be good to cooperate and not tear each other to pieces, wouldn’t it?
    Yours humbly,
    Rebecca.

Stevie342000

Rebecca

In an ideal world I would agree but there are number of issues with this site that I have issue with. If you see my other posts and then perhaps look at the welcome by Charles you may be some way to understanding what my issues are.

It seems that the site offers advise on do as I say not as I do. In my other post New allotment no dig or new plots, dock, couch grass etc.

I have it seems written too much and that I should only be posting evidence of what my efforts have achieved. Now given that I am new to no dig just as you as it seems this is not a discussion site. It is one in which some members pat each other on the back and say oh how wonderful we all are.

This tirade I suspect will get me booted but hey who cares. Charles has questioned my approach about digging the plot over before I cover it with manure and then with compost in spring. My allotment site was severely waterlogged. It is hoped that by digging the soil over and turning the grass and burying it will kill it off. It has already been weakened by the use of weedkiller. Another no no but given that an allotment site which has not been used for 5 years may have had any old rubbish put on it makes little difference if you take this approach. When if you go to take a look at Welcome by Charles he indeed dug over his site before taking a similar approach to me.

Another is that I am layering my compost or my ground with bark chip before applying lime. Lime does need to be used to counter-act acidity, trust me I have a degree in this area and we did a lot of work on soil types and how to rectify problems.

So whilst I may not be taking the route that others have done the outcome is the same. There may be judicious use of what are perceived as chemicals right now but having checked with the soil association and reading the policy documents on what is or is not allowed it seems that I am within the remit for organic growing.

So again I ask myself what is the problem here, is that because I do not fall down on bending knee or my ears are deaf to what comes out of the mouths or is it that I do not fit here in the site users or owners eyes? Not sure what it is but it is a mystery to me why my presence should cause such consternation.

It takes all sorts to make up society and there is enough rigidity around already without us all bickering and squabbling.

Can we all put this matter to rest and continue on the basis that any questions that I may ask in future are as valid as anyone else’s. After all we are all here to get advise but that should all come with a pinch of salt. There is more than one way to get to the same route end. As long as the end is the same and you stay within the guidance framework or principles of No Dig or Organics, it does not exclusively follow that they go hand in hand for all people either.

No Dig principle is nothing new after all nature has been doing it for lot longer than any of us have. In future should I remain then perhaps I will start a new thread outlining all that I have done in the past 12 months, as a series of smallish posts for peeps to see how the issues were dealt with.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags