Preserving Tomatoes

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Preserving Tomatoes

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  alangium1 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

Not really a gardening question perhaps but I was so taken with the picture of your tomatoes ready for dehydrating that after deliberating for some time I have taken the plunge and bought myself one. How do you store yours after they have been dehydrated?

charles

Hello Jeanette, nice that you have harvests to store, the tomatoes are leathery and I simply peel them off the mesh and put into old sweet jars, one of which holds 9 racks of tomatoes, a lot of food!

jjat8cv
    Participant

Thank you Charles. I have some large glass jars I can use. Unfortunately I now notice that my Crimson Crush tomatoes have succombed to the blight. Not as blight resistant as I was led to believe but I do have plenty of tomatoes on a plant of San Mazarno in the greenhouse which should dehydrate well. Have you grown Crimson Crush this year and if so has it been affected by blight?
    Janet

charles

No I have not grown Crimson Crush and wonder of any tomato variety resists blight? Having said that, Nicola potatoes are showing promise.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Charles/Janet,

I grow Tomatoes outdoors here in Kildare.
    I grew 5 cvrs this year; Alicante, Aurora, Tumbling Tom, Chocolate Cherry & Black Plum.
    I got hit with late Blight about two weeks ago. Aurora & Tumbling Tom were effected but the others are completely healthy.
    They were all planted in the same bed 3′ apart. I’m wondering if the fact the effected plants were bush varieties and the others are cordon had an bearing on this?
    I can say Alicante, which is my “banker” Tomato crop each year has never gotten Blight.
    The other 4 I have not grown before.

Don.

Mad4fev
    Participant

We simply freeze them whole in plastic bags. When needed they can be defrosted or just thrown into the pot to cook.

slasher
    Participant

slasher
    Just had my first full season of no dig, and a very good one indeed.

charles

Thanks Slasher and I copied your comment to Twitter, FB.

alangium1
    Participant

Hi Jeanette. Very interesting about your Crimson Crush getting blight. I normally grow tomatoes in a Vinehouse because of past blight problems but this year,not being able to use the Vinehouse I have grown Crimson Crush outdoors. In addition I have grown lissano Lizzano Ferline and nimbus . Apart from Crimson Crush the plants are only blight resistant.According to the plant breeder Crimson Crush were heralded as being ‘blight proof’
    Unfortunately none of my plants were affected by classic blight, but some stems have slightly blackened stems and some fruit have dark skin blemishes, but not the rapid destruction I have experienced over the past forty or so years. Have you taken photos and made comment to your plant supplier

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags