Problem with raspberries planted into compost

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Problem with raspberries planted into compost

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Catherine C 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Catherine C
    Participant

Hi Charles
    I attended your course earlier this year, and I have had great success with most of my vegetables and fruit beds – thank you!

The only problem I have had relates to raspberries planted earlier this year. I planted 12 summer raspberry plants and 12 autumn raspberry plants. I used the method of putting a deep layer of compost (mostly municipal) into raised beds on top of clay soil. Some well rotted manure as well. 17 of my raspberry plants haven’t made it – leaves never appeared or the leaves turned yellow. The only ones to survive were the summer malling minerva and one of my autumn gold ones. Before I buy more and plant in the same way (or give up, and plant in regular soil) – I thought I’d check with you if you had any ideas on what might be the problem?

Cheers
    Catherine

pepper22
    Participant

I am taking the liberty to leave a comment too, as I have a border of raspberries myself… Maybe your manure was “too fresh” or have you watered them too much ? Or maybe your raspberries didn’t have strong enough roots ? Also, raspberry plants need to “breathe” at the bottom of the stem.
    Before you buy some more : raspberries produce numerous shoots, perhaps will you be able to re-use them next spring !!

ElizaD
    Participant

Hi Catherine

Perhaps your raspberries will reshoot from the base? I stuck two raspberry plants in a large pot as I had nowhere to put them several years back. Earlier this year I just prised them apart and planted eight canes in my garden in reasonably well rotted horse manure. I have six plants growing strongly and I have been picking raspberries from them. They are Autumn fruiting but have fruited early as I did not cut the canes down in the winter. I will cut these tall fruiting canes at the base when they finish and hope for more fruit off newer canes in the autumn.

Fingers crossed.

Eliza

charles

Helpful comments here.
    I planted canes into a new bed Feb. 16 and they hardly grew for 4 months then suddenly got going.
    But it was dry this spring and if you have seen nothing, perhaps they are dead. I would replant this autumn. I have always found this method good for any plants.
    Is that same compost mix working well for other veg?

plantmark
    Participant

I planted 18 Raspberry canes last year into well rotted manure. They all died and I found that the manure contained Aminoperalid insecticide so it maybe worth checking your manure.

Catherine C
    Participant

belated thank you for your help! I was away from my computer – much appreciate the suggestion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags