Propagating Sturon Onion seed for Overwintering

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Propagating Sturon Onion seed for Overwintering

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

bluetempest2

Charles, I have taken your advice on ordering Sturon Obion seed from real seeds and as a novice I wouldn’t mind a few tips if possible on growing them for over wintering crop as I have an un heated green house but a south east facing conservatory as I believe these require some warmth in setting them off to a good start.
    I also found that last years whilst planting them on an organic farm in Pembrokeshire the overwintering sets had a miserable harvest this year with approx 50 percent non germination rate which has pushed me to look at seeds rather than sets.
    I have read your books but can’t find any tips.
    Regards
    Mick

charles

I used to be a fan of overwintering onions until I figured they were probably hosting the mildew which almost wiped out my spring planted and sown onions in 2005-8. Since then I stopped sowing onions in the last week of August (usually Senshyu in fact) and just sowed them in February in the greenhouse, or planted sets late March to early April. This year’s spring sown and planted onions are mostly good apart from one variety (Marco) which appears susceptible to mildew.

To overwinter, do not sow before August 23rd or they risk bolting next spring. Before 31st gives them time to make plants for setting out in late September. Spring onions use the same dates, White Lisbon is good. Onions do not germinate well in temperatures consistently over 20C, so keep the trays out of sunlight until you see green shoots.

peter.peterclarke
    Participant

In previous years we have grown overwintered onions from sets planted out in Sep/Oct. We have been happy with the results but last year owing to a wet autumn we couldn’t get them in and they were still in the tray in February unplanted. So we put them in modules and got them started in the poly tunnel and when they had shoots put them out side. Finally in April they got planted out and they have done reasonable well, they are just flopping over and we have started using them. BTW we are in Cumbria and about 400′ up.

bluetempest2

Thank you Charles for kindly passing some of your valuable knowledge and experience. By the way did you find out what was making the carrots fork in the outdoor bed in June?,,as I had similar experience last year with Nantes variety which we could only put it down to putting the seed in too soon after manureing the soil which was approx 3 weeks apart.

Mick

charles

Actually I think it was more to do with the variety, Purple Haze, as the Early Nantes carrots next to it in the same bed are nearly all straight. Also in April I sowed Nantes carrot seed into a bed freshly filled with well decomposed manure and compost, on top of grass: they are straight but not so long. Best carrots were in the moon experiment bed which I shall write up, and that bed grew carrots last spring too! – then it grew turnips, and after harvesting them in November I spread two inches of home made compost on the whole bed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags