protecting vegetables from frost

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground protecting vegetables from frost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

joanna
    Participant

Hello. I have an amazing first year of not just no-dig, but growing any vegetables at all!
    My question now is what and when to cover things with fleece:
    – I still have some beetroot and carrots growing (my second sowing of both – a bit of an experiment to see how well they do). They still need to do a bit of growing and I am a little uncertain whether I should leave them as they are or cover them with fleece as the weather gets to freezing temperatures?
    – I also have some leeks growing – should I cover them?
    – Finaly, I have planted some Autumn-planting onions and garlic – should I cover them!?
    Thanks!
    Jo

JD
    Participant

Where are you based, Jo?

joanna
    Participant

Oxfordshire

Christine
    Participant

Just out of interest what happens if they get frosted? I left some squash out as no frost was forecast but woke up to ice on windscreen in the morning. Brought in the squash today and they look fine but does it affect taste or storage potential or maybe they’ll be ok?

charles

Jo those veg are fine in frost, at the -2 to -3C levels we have now. Lift beetroot & carrots to store by end November approx. Generally veg are sweeter after frost.
    Squash are damaged by frost but a light one does not hurt them especially if skins are hard, I expect yours are ok Christine and if not, you will see staining & soft patches. Eat soon of so.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags