protection for spring onions

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing protection for spring onions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ladbrokes 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

i ve just sown a row of ramrod spring onions, would you recommend any protection

charles

Hi Ladbrokes, 
    Good timing of your sowing, I would expect them to be fine unless you have rabbits, which love tender onion seedlings. Slugs are not interested, nor are birds.

ladbrokes

the trouble i do have is leek moth. they have attacked my leeks and onions and both were covered

charles

Hmmm, sounds bad. I have not covered any leeks and they are nearly all being or have been nibbled by moth maggots, but are still growing reasonably well. May-planted King Richard are enormous and when peeling their leaves I notice some moth-caterpillar damage. Later plantings are more affected, but still ok. I think part of the secret is to sow and plant as early as possible, into rich, moist soil so the leeks can grow away from being nibbled.

ladbrokes

ive chopped them back to ground level twice, im now worried they might bolt.

charles

Oh dear, and I think that advice is mentioned in my OG book but not Winter Vegetables. I now realise it is not the best way, is too radical, hurts the plant too much. Loss of all leaves from cutting means regrowth is slow. It seems that leek moth is here to stay and we just have to accept it. Early, fast growing varieties like King Richard for summer  eating and Autumn Mammoth for autumn and beyond are good for growing away from moth damage, when sown in March indoors in modules or early-mid April outdoors, in rich soil, a necessity for good leeks.

ladbrokes

thanks for all the info charles. they battle goes on. going to try double netting next year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags