Purple sprouting

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Purple sprouting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

RandA
    Participant

Our PSB does not seem to be producing any stems yet, it was knocked about by the deep snow we had and some high winds but its unusual not to have some spears to eat at the end of March. Is anyone else still waiting? and is it because its been so cold

charles

Ah no problem Ali with your psb. Rather it’s that cold spell of weather, which sucked it dry and set it back. (the freezing wind especially)
    Mine are recovered, but are about to be hit again! So harvests will start later.
    Last year was unusually early.

Hazelky
    Participant

Mine are producing, but only small shoots, lots of them. Some have been decimated by the blessed pigeons. Put one of those solar powered flashing lights next to them and not seen more damage for 3 days.

Lovely warm sun today, no frozen fingers! Just had a variation on cauliflower cheese for lunch – picked Kallettes, PSB, flower sprouts from the kale and tiny romanesco cauli flowers, with a leek and cheese sauce, yummy.

Tidied up my spinach beet today. Planted last April and have picked steadily all year and plants still look healthy and producing masses of small new leaves. What a performer!

My leeks, however,are still pencil thin after months in the ground. Going to call them spring onions and start again☹️

What a lovely day on the plot.😃

Cleansweep
    Participant

“My leeks, however,are still pencil thin after months in the ground. Going to call them spring onions and start again☹️”
    How, when, did you plant them ? How big when planted,as I try to plant them out as ‘pencils’,mid July after early pots, although this year they followed on from broad beans/early peas. Picture dated 14/09/17

Hazelky
    Participant

Went in mid July as slightly thinner pencils. The soil in that patch is very sticky clay and there was only a couple of inches of compost on top, so maybe they were too compressed and no air around the roots. They will get a better patch this year☺️

Paul
    Participant

Was just going to start a new thread and saw this..
    My psb this year are huge,but all the sprouts seem concentrated at the top which seems very congested.
    They are nearly 4 foot high and have contributed to the compost heap well.However there are no sprouts coming from the lower stems.Any advice is most welcome.

Jacqui
    Participant

My Purple Sprouting broccoli also has tiny flowering sprouts. I thought it was just me doing something wrong.
    I have netting on mine as otherwise the Pigeons eat all the brasiccas.
    It is interesting to hear how other gardeners are doing.
    The first snow nearly broke the netting due to the weight.

charles

It’s the weather!
    See this update and scroll down to broccoli, for how my Claret was so abundant at this time in 2017.
    This year it has not even begun!! Soon I hope…
    AndPaul they always start with a heavy top-head, then shoot from levels lower down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags