Quality salad seed

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Quality salad seed

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ashleigh 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

Having had a few disappointments last year with poor salad seed quality – please could people recommend seed companies that produce good reliable seed? I am after Mottistone, Maravilla, Claremont, Rosemoor, Freckles, Mizuna etc. Thanks

charles

Happy ’14 Kate.

Seed – Its a fair question, I reckon there is a lot of tired seed around and it pops up unexpectedly.

Seeds of Italy (Franchi) are mostly good and lots of seed too, so are CN Seeds, epsecially good for brassica salads. Tozers ok but larger Q’s..

Organic Gardening Catalogue for a wide range and mostly good.

For lettuce you can’t beat saving your own, check out Sue Stickland’s "Back Garden Seed Saving".

kate robinson
    Participant

Happy New Year to you too. Have you used ‘More Veg’ seed?
    I plan to start to save seed with my ‘learners’ this year. What do you make of the EU planning to licence seed production….? Will this have an impact on small seed banks?
    I’m glad we no longer live on the levels with ALL this rain!

ashleigh
    Participant

I will use them every year, lots of obscure salads and very good quality. They are a very small company and take it all very seriously. Loads of info on their website and it’s done with love. They are involved in the campaign against the EU laws.

Franchi are the opposite, an enormous company, goodness knows how it’s produced but you do get MILLIONS of seeds in a packet so good for value!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags