Radish in crop rotation

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Radish in crop rotation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kath 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kath
    Participant

Morning all. I hope I have put this in the right area of the forum…
    I have a number of no dig, wooden sided beds in my polytunnel which were not as productive as they might have been last year, but I am hoping to do better this year. In one of the beds I had lettuce and radish, both of which did reasonably well, but I am unsure what should follow them – the RHS says it is a brassica, some sites say it’s a root and others say it’s a legume!

Can anyone clarify, please?

Sausage
    Participant

It is a brassica. Some people lump roots together regardless of family but radishes are member of the Brassicaceae family and definitelly not Fabaceae (legumes).

Kath
    Participant

Thanks Sausage. I have multi-sown in modules as per Charles, ready for when weather improves.

charles

Kath I advise against following 4 year rotation plans in a tunnel – instead, grow what you want to eat, with as long intervals as you can manage between plant families.
    You could sow carrots now or wait and plant tomatoes etc etc.

Kath
    Participant

Thanks Charles (going to visit allotment soon to make sure that we still have a tunnel!)..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags