Rain water for seeds and seedlings.

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Rain water for seeds and seedlings.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ron
    Participant

I would be interested to hear comments on using rainwater from a water butt for raising seeds and seedlings. My plan is to water at the base of trays aided by using capillary matting.
    Unfortunately, for this occasion mains water is not an option.
    Many thanks for your time and input.

charles

It depends Ron… if the water butt is full of dirty water with algae on the sides, not cleaned out for years… (I do see this) then I would not use it for seedlings.
    It’s worth cleaning butts (just with a brush then empty and start again) and this is a good time for that, as it should rain before much watering is needed.

Ron
    Participant

Charles, thanks for your advice, my supply is from one of those large industrial containers, probably 1000L. At the present time it is rarely emptied because of it’s size and limited use at present. It is however, close to the poly tunnel that I mentioned in a previous post about cleaning the cover and is where I hope to start growing for our allotments. Will keep you posted as things develop. Regards, Ron.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Suggest you paint the tank to exclude light, this will inhibit green algae. To paint the outside with black bitumen (Aquaseal 5, 2 coats). Just mask off a strip “gauge” on the north side to see contents. A filter on the downspout ,such as a surplus sock, to trap debris.The use of non-chlorinated water should prove to be advantageous, so long as the supply is dependable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags