raised bed for asparagus

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground raised bed for asparagus

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

stu
    Participant

Hello Charles I’m after some advice on asparagus. I’ve made a decision to designate a 15 ft by 4ft raised bed for 2 types of asparagus the bed is about a 10″ deep with roughly 4 ” of well rotten cow manure on top. My plan was to ridge 2 rows of soil place asparagus on top then add a mix of home made compost/green waste compost and mp compost with some wood ash. 1) is it a sound plan 2) is it OK to get 2 rows in a 4ft wide bed or should I just do a single row

charles

Four foot beds are a bit narrow for two rows of asparagus and a bit wide for one row. For example my beds are three feet. If you make two rows, plants will crop a little more in total at first, but become crowded in time.
    I would go for one row and use the space along edges for other veg, in the first two years at least.
    I am not convinced you need to ridge the soil unless it lies very wet in winter. I don’t ridge, and plants grow fine with similar compost to yours, on top.

simondragon
    Participant

Have raised some globe artichokes and cardoons from seed this spring. Should I treat them the same way – 3 foot apart in their own bed, with maybe some small plants around the edge of the bed.

charles

They grow faster than asparagus and by late summer they will be nearly touching so yes, plant something in the spaces now, which finishes by August such as salads, beetroot, peas, spring onions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags