Raised no-dig beds on a slope

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Raised no-dig beds on a slope

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Joe 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Joe
    Participant

Hello all,

We’re in the early stages of setting up a CSA in North Wales and currently plan to use no dig beds without sides – possibly deep ones that can necessitate bio-intensive methods of growing – and the whole 1 acre plot is on a East/South East facing slope. Can anyone advise us as to how to position these beds?

We’ve found some suggesting to follow the contours of the land, terracing the beds. Others suggested having the beds at 45 degree angles to the slope making a V that would direct the water flow into a central channel. And still others suggest running the beds downhill. But we really need more input as all seem sensible and viable – but we can’t commit to a design without a few more voices!

Hope to hear from some of you!

Thank you.

charles

How steep?
    Light or heavy soil?
    Are you starting with a few beds or the whole acre in one go?

Joe
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Thanks for responding.

The gradient from our calculations is around 28%, likely slightly less as the field drops slightly more at the very bottom. So we could consider it 25%.

We have medium soil, very stony (you should see our stone piles from our small veg patch!) and in some places it seems very compacted about a foot down. We tried to knock in posts today near the edge, by the dry stone walls and just couldn’t get them past 1ft.

We’re planning on converting half an acre into beds initially, but time is running out to get it done!

What are your (or anyone elses) thoughts?

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Joe,

That’s a very steep slope indeed.
    I would go with terracing or try to level the site to reduce the slope to less than 5%.
    I suspect the latter is probably not going to be possible in this instance given where your starting from.

Don.

Tesi
    Participant

There was a documentary on the BBC recently about the Mayans and how they successfully grew crops on a steep hill. They terraced their beds, used stones in their beds so they could be heated up during the day and during the night the stones would release heat and so on. Have a look on I player it’s probably still available to see. Sounds like a really exciting project. I’d go with the contours of the land as much as possible. Beds can be contoured and fluid, use the stones to your advantage. Have a look at Hügelkultur from Sepp Holzer for ideas as well.

Tesi
    Participant

Correction: Incas (not Mayans)!

charles

Joe it is indeed steep for growing. But the soil’s stones should reduce the risk of erosion if beds run up and down.

As you are growing for CSA and need to make money (different time-wise to veg for home consumption) I think horizontal beds with retaining sides along the bottom edge would take too long, being too expensive in time & also materials.
    Tesi’s points are good for the Andes but in N Wales the relative lack of sun means stones warm less by day, and nights are relatively less cool. And they had cheap labour compared to us in the UK. While Sepp has many tree trunks he appears not to need for other uses.

All in all, tricky, keep us posted and I think you need, somehow, to concentrate on high value veg.

Joe
    Participant

Thanks for the responses everyone, it’s all very much appreciated. I think we know how to go forward in planning the lay of our beds now.

I think Charles is right about the rocks in Wales not ever getting very warm, although we did watch the show about the Incas and it was fascinating so thanks for that either way!

We’re now struggling with the question of rocks. We have some rather large rocks in Rowen and have found many on the farm. One was over 8 tonnes, though that has thankfully been an exceptionally large rock!

Do we need to dig the beds to check for rocks and remove them and then proceed from then on without digging. Or do we just build the beds up and hope that the raised bed offers the roots enough soil to flourish despite any rocks that might lay beneath?

We’re considering digging one bed as a test to see how many rocks are found.

Any advice/thoughts would once again be much appreciated.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Joe,
    I would suggest clearing the first 10-12 inches of any large rocks and then build your beds on top of that.
    That would give you 16-18 inches of clear soil if you make your raised beds 6 inches high.
    That’s more than adequate for most crops.
    Don.

charles

I would leave the rocks in place, except for any monsters that are protruding above ground.
    Hard to be sure without seeing their number, but its quicker and simpler to add fertility above. As a CSA you need to keep costs down.
    And plants will root into soil between and below the rocks. Carrots and parsnips may be uneven.

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Joe/Charles,

Just out of interest what is a CSA?

Don.

charles

Don its Community Supported Agriculture – a market garden funded by anyone buying a share, which buys for example a weekly box of vegetables.

Don Foley
    Participant

Thanks Charles. We don’t have such a thing here in Ireland.
    What a great idea.

Don.

Joe
    Participant

There is some in Ireland – look!

http://www.communitysupportedagriculture.ie/

Don Foley
    Participant

Thanks Joe,
    I’d never heard of this. I only buy UK Gardening Mags and I’m not a member of any gardening groups here so that’s probably why.
    Would you believe one of the CSA’s is only 2 miles away from me!!!
    Going over there this morning to have a look.
    Don.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags