Read all topics – haver I got it right?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Read all topics – haver I got it right?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bigron 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bigron
    Participant

Hi

I have read I think all 463 topics and think that I now have a basic understanding of how to prepare the ground for no dig – appreciating that all allotments vary.

As with must people the Borneo Jungle – err allotment I have just taken on was overgrown to say the least.

I have brush cut the whole allotment, initially at about 1ft above the ground, and have been, but in no way finished, been removing all the glass, bricks, plastic bags etc. etc.

As I go away on me (sic) hols this weekend I managed to get one area covered with the black plastic sheeting. I am hoping if time permits to get two more down before I go away.

When I get back, and this is the bit I would like advice on, I was planning to:-

1) Remove the plastic & soak the ground – it’s extremely dry.
    1) Cover as much of the area that is covered in plastic with cardboard and soak it..
    2) Put new manure in one line – 6 inches.
    3) Put relatively new manure in another – 6 inches
    4) Put compost in another – 4 inches – where my fruit bushes will go.
    5) Re-cover the two areas that will have the new/relatively new manure with the black plastic, aiming to grown squash, leeks, potatoes, autumn beetroot, brassicas and, courgettes through it, which I read on this thread How do we sdtart.

Holiday reading will be Charles’ books which are on the way – How to create a new vegetable garden, How to Grow Winter Vegetables and Organic Gardening: The Natural No-dig Way.

The last photo shows the manure pile. My allotment is to the left of the large conifer and I have an access gate in to this lady’s horse field. Behind the new manure is the compost front left. Also at the back is compost that has a lot of weeds growing. I am guess that if I remove the weeds from the top it will still be good to use. It’s about 3 years old.

Any thoughts appreciated.

bigron
    Participant

Pics 1

bigron
    Participant

Not sure why the pic won’t load as I have reduced them to 1200×800 and all under 50kb

charles

All good except for point 5.
    The thread you link to was written in February.
    You are starting in late summer so I would just leave the polythene down, because it can then kill many weeds by light deprivation.
    No rush to compost/soak the ground, you will benefit from leaving the cover on until say late October, then do some prepping, but even so its barely time to kill couch etc so I would re-cover until say May.
    Meanwhile, grow some plants (spring sowings) to have ready for planting in May.
    Patience will serve you well, and enjoy the holiday.

bigron
    Participant

Thank you for taking the time to reply Charles.

Can I just check one point. At the end of October when I lift the polythene and clear away the debris underneath.

Should I then put down the manure and compost and recover, or I should I put the compost & manure down in May?

n.b. I have the patience, I just want to get the steps correct.

charles

I look to spread mulches in autumn, replicating nature’s leaf fall, so yes pull back the poly in Oct/Nov and spread whatever compost you are using, perhaps water too unless the poly is letting rain through.
    Then keep the ground covered, with poly over the compost until spring, so that weeds trying to grow are gradually dying in darkness. Check in March-April to see if there are still new white & yellow shoots of weed stems, if none you can remove poly and start planting, or roll it back a strip at a time as plants come ready.

bigron
    Participant

Excellent. Thank you Charles.

I have watched all your YouTube videos and look forward to reading your books mentioned above next week.

Typical that when I go away the weather changes to summer here.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags