Red Cabbage (Rodynda) with Small Heads at Stem

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Red Cabbage (Rodynda) with Small Heads at Stem

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dieter 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dieter
    Participant

I harvested a red cabbage (variety Rodynda, source: Bingenheimer Saatgut) that seemed ready for it 🙂 Cutting the stem with a knife, I noticed that there were a few smaller heads connected to the stem at the bottom of the large cabbage, resembling large sprouts size-wise.

Is this normal for red cabbage? I have noticed that cabbages can form new heads after harvest, but I have never witnessed they also can do this before removal of the head. The issue could obviously be my inexperience in the field, but I would like to know from others whether it may be a specific characteristic of Rodynda or, worse, an indication of (unbearable) plant stress, e.g. the recent climate upheaval (5mm rain from 24th May to today, all in one thunderstorm, with a dry April-May already).

charles

Hi Dieter and that is an early harvest. My Rodynda are still loose because I sowed them later, 10th May.
    Yes I noticed last year that they are prolific with secondary hearts, a sign that the main head is ready to cut, being solid. Not a problem.
    However the weather will be a problem if it does not rain soon!

Dieter
    Participant

I checked my log book and sowing date was 9 March. Other Rodyndas are similar in size, so I’d say ready in a bit less then 5 months. I was not expecting it to be ready in August already (Bingenheimer link).

Red Rookie, same sowing date, is ~3-4 weeks behind.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags