Red onions

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Red onions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JanGreen 6 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

JanGreen
    Participant

Hi Charles, I planted red onion sets in the autumn last year and they seemed to be growing well.
    However the last couple of weeks I have noticed the bulb is very small on most of them and today I saw quite a few seed heads starting to develop! Should I cut these back or leave them?
    I fear they are going to be a very disappointing crop!
    Many thanks for your advice, Jan

charles

Ah that is a pity.
    Once onions develop a flowerhead, their energy goes towards making seeds rather than swelling a bulb. So I would use them asap.
    Red onions from sets are not easy. You could still plant some now if you can find sets, because later plantings do better than early ones, in terms of not bolting.

Paul
    Participant

Hi Jan Iv’e had the same problem a few years back(two years running 90% went to seed) both with red sets,never with white onion sets.I think if you grow your red onions from seed the results are far better.
    I just don’t bother planting any red onions in autumn now.

JanGreen
    Participant

Thanks for your advice. I will look out for sets now.
    On the bright side after 8 years on the waiting list, I have now been offered an allotment plot and very excited to get to work on this! No dig of course!

ruthparis
    Participant

Hi Jan, just to say I totally get how exciting it is to finally get an allotment after years on the waiting list! I had to wait 8 years too; and 10 years later still just love my allotment 🙂 Great to start with no-dig too… will save you so much time and effort. Good luck and enjoy it!

JanGreen
    Participant

Thank you Ruth, yes I will!
    The committee have rotavated the plot so it won’t be ‘no dig’ this year but definitely next.
    On day one I have already met some lovely people. My neighbour gave me a new compost bin and offered squash plants to me and I spent a lovely evening raking and tidying the edges of the plot. Lots to do (see photo) but totally rewarding!
    Enjoy yours too!

JanGreen
    Participant

Or not! would not upload pic 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags