Rhubarb: large brown patches on leaves

Community Community Garden Problems Disease Rhubarb: large brown patches on leaves

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles and All

The photos show large brown patches on the leaves on one of my rhubarb beds; my neighbour’s leaves are much worse. We have had only 0.4mm of rain over the last three weeks in sunny Exmouth. Is it a problem caused by drought? I have my doubts as the ground is still reasonably damp below the surface and the plants are otherwise rampant!

I am thinking of submitting the leaves for the Turner Prize. What do you think?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

John
    Participant

I forgot to ask if the leaves can be composted, just as those of blighted potatoes and tomatoes can be added to the heap.

charles

Its not a problem. Rhubarb is entering its period of less healthy new growth, with many older leaves gradually fading as energy goes back to the crown.
    Lack of rain also means less healthy new leaf.
    And yes you can compost them, though I would love them to decay in situ as the harvest season is finished.

John
    Participant

Thank you Charles.

Brigitte
    Participant

My rhubarb (Pink Champagne) was just about all stripped out early on in July, because most the leaves went brown. (as in the photos of the above post) It now has a vigorous growth with massive leaves! Can I still harvest it?

charles

Hi Brigitte, your rhubarb leaves are like John’s above, fading in summer heat, and now you have a second spring.
    Fine to eat a few stems, just not too many so the roots can regenerate through autumn.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags