rock dust?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables rock dust?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

grannyjanny
    Participant

We have been allocated the other half of our plot. It has been unloved (as in no manure compost etc has been applied in many years). We have had a load of manure delivered. John is going to dig a spit down & make a trench, put manure in the trench & more on top. He double dug the first half plot. We hadn’t heard about no dig then but it was in such a bad way it was needed. He wants to dig as there is bindweed & horsetail to get out. We have some rock dust (60kg) & wondered how you would suggest we use it please, in the trench with manure or sprinkled on top?

charles

I have only used rockdust on top, and see how it disappears into soil, worms appear to like it for example. Since there is more microbial activity near the soil surface, it has more chance there of ‘coming to life’.
    Steph has been having great success in dealing with marestail without disturbing soil and mulching on top.

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles. Just passed on the info to John. He is now not going to dig it, we’ll take out any visible perennial weeds, then manure, then rock dust OR rock dust then manure???? Sorry to mither about it. We also have an area at the front that is 18’x10′ that is thick with couch & horsetail. Would you dig that to remove as much as possible then put cardboard down with a thick manure mulch & rock dust on the manure. We are taking down a self seeded oak & sweet chestnut tree today. Out comes the trusty azada.

charles

re rockdust and manure, I would put dust on top.

Same answer to the other, I would not dig before mulching but for those weeds I would use polythene for a year, as I show in the photos at the top of This Month November 2013.

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles. It’s getting easier with each message. At this rate the pallet fencing will be done sooner than we thought. Sorry Charles, just to be sure, on top of manure???
    We look forward to your new books.

charles

rockdust on manure!

Steph
    Participant

I have set up two polytunnels on horsetail, bindweed, silverweed, nettles and dock this year. I used a deeper mulch than usual, probably 7 or 8 inches, on the beds because horsetail is so invasive and powerful. This has been very successful, the other weeds have gone except for the odd bit of bindweed creeping in and the horsetail which has diminished significantly and is easily removed with a trowel

I don’t know how long it will be before the horsetail gives up completely!

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles & Steph.
    Sorry another question. We lifted some paving paths & there were lots of bindweed roots on the surface, would we be best forking those out? It looks like fat spaghetti, can it go in the composter?

charles

Yes  I compost them, as long as they are covered in the heap with more iingredients, so they have no access to light until rotten, a few months at this time of year.

Rhys
    Participant

Used some on a trial bed by the house along with the spent tomato pot compost (huge organic content of root system) and planted shallots in it. They did very well once the cold March was over.

I put some more down on a few more beds a couple of weeks ago, including one with winter onions and garlic. I’ve done no scientific measurements, but all the young plants shot ahead in the week after putting the dust on top.

I’ve also just laid down some horse manure on top of rock dust on ground not dug since last spring. We’ll see how it gets on. Same on top of the asparagus and rhubarb.

I also put a small handful into the final pots of my tomatoes last summer, which was a mixture of John Innes Number Three and purchased well-rotted ‘farmyard manure’. No science done, but the final outcome was magnificent. I suspect lots of hot summer sunshine helped too though.

charles

This sounds promising, nice results.

There is a lot of good anecdotal experience with rockdust, see http://www.binnsoilnutrients.com/user-reports/ which is full of happy users.

Binns have got it into B&Q at a fair price, is that where you found yours?

Roger Brook

Although rock dust is undoubtably beneficial it would seem to me a bit of a red herring in relation to Granny’s other problems, particularly with perennial weed. I think it is extremely difficult for inexperienced gardeners to get rid of them by your methods and they often give up in despair. I know your methods work and am full of admiration for the wonderful results you get Charles and your fantastic soil- the direct result of your organic methods.
    I wish ‘Granny’ all the best with her allotment and her weeds!

Rhys
    Participant

http://www.pinetumproducts.co.uk

It’s based in Gloucestershire and run by an organic guy similar in enthusiasm to yourself.

The reason I went with these guys is that they had a lab analysis of what was in it and it looked far more useful than the American Azomite and the Seer Centre in Scotland (whose dust is marketed by Binn) didn’t have an analysis available. It’s particularly rich in the useful elements like potassium, calcium, magnesium and it seems to have pretty much every trace element under the sun.

Just got another 40kg delivered this week after finishing the trial bag of 20kg a week or so back.

If I had a hectare of land, I’d do some proper scientific trials, but to the naked eye it certainly seems to help and certainly doesn’t harm.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags