Rock Dust

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

I have been reading an article in the NAS Allotment magazine about Seer Rockdust. Has anyone used this product which is supposed to increase the mineral and trace element levels in the soil and what was the result.

charles

I found it hard to assess the difference. According to a quarryman, the dust I bought was not dusty enough – it needs to be fine unless you are spreading it for your grandchildrens’ benefit. It almost certainly does some good, probably increases the mineral content, especially in poor soil, but needs soil life from compost etc. to help unlock its goodies.

I had more striking results from lava dust but it is hard to buy as British stockists find it unknown here – I was sent a sample from Osmo in Belgium (a different Osmo I think to the paint manufacturers). All slightly frustrating!

But maybe others have good stories about using rockdust?

Ros

I too have used rockdust. In my garden at home I have 2 large raised beds for veg growing to overcome the soil here which I call low level industrial waste – actually the house was built on a site formally used by two businesses run out of garages. Though the underlying soil is clay what is on top is difficult to describe in any other way! I had to buy in soil to fill the raised beds and have used compost on top ever since [nearly 2 years now]. To make sure the rockdust is in contact with suitable microbiological activity I have put a dusting on top of the ingredients whenever I top up the compost heap so it is spread with the compost. As I haven’t got a control bed I really couldn’t say what difference it has made but the veg is begining to get better!

jjat8cv
    Participant

Seer Rockdust is “organically certified, freshly crushed, finely ground volcanic dust” containing “6 essential macro minerals, 11 trace elements and over 40 minerals” so I think that makes it like lava dust. I think I will proabaly try some on some of my raised beds.

Poolfield

We bought some from a local quarry to fill the gaps between paving stones without using cement and I can confirm that moss grows well in it :)

We had to buy half a ton and the excess was put on my raised beds just to get rid of the heap, I can’t say I have seen any difference between that bed and the ones that didn’t get any but maybe it was too coarse.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags