Root depth

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Pearman 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mart

Charles,

I noticed in your books and on website you use plastic vegetable containers to grow salads etc. Is there a minimum depth or can you tell me how deep are the ones u use. The ones I have are 10 and 14, sowed some seeds in them anyway but just curious.

Thanks,

Mart

charles

I presume you mean the blue mushroom trays? If so they are around 10cm deep and I fill them as full as possible, bearing in mind how the compost consolidates through winter. Salads grow so well in them.

mart

Yes those, thx. I read somewhere salads need
    At least 14 cm but I guess that is just a rule.

charles

Mart what do you mean?!!!!

"I read somewhere" does not equal correct.

"Just a rule" does not make sense, to me anyway.

Rules are what works (or should be) and the word rule needs using carefully because when applied to something which works, it becomes enshrined as "fact", yet hides all the other background circumstances. I prefer to work with flexible guidelines…

For example I said 10cm has worked well as a depth of compost for my salad boxes. That is because they contain rich compost and manure,  are cropping slowly over winter, in a greenhouse. The last three things are all variables which could change the headline figure.

mart

You are right Charles, I wrote rule but I should have used another word. I read it in some article about growing in containers.
    I never tried growing in those containers hence my question.
    I’m not english I’ll use as lame excuse but I’ll be more carefull in the future.

I agree Charles. ‘Rules’ (especially those that do not necessarily work) are made to be broken. In life and in growing. No Dig growing is an excellent example.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags