Root maggot

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dieter 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lorettaf
    Participant

Hello everyone, we were just wondering if you had any advice about sowing times to avoid root maggots in brassicas please? We sowed turnips in feb, planted out march and are just harvesting now as we expected in may. Unfortunately all of them and the radishes we sowed at the end of april are all tunnelled. Any advice? When might it be safe to sow again? Thanks. Loretta

charles

Loretta sorry to hear this and it’s a terrible year for cabbage root fly, mine are suffering too. You just have to eat them fast before the maggots do.
    If one had known, it would have worked to keep mesh over them, not fleece as that gets too hot often in May.
    Sow again from late July, with mesh over!

lorettaf
    Participant

Thanks charles. Will do! I think we might just use enviromesh on everything!!!! Good luck with all your brassicas…

Dieter
    Participant

I don’t know the correct English term, but translated from Dutch it would be “cabbage collar”. I apply them to most of my cabbages.

A DIY picture guide, in Dutch but the photos are self-explanatory, I believe: http://www.mergenmetz.nl/tuin/de-basis/zaaien-verspenen-uitplanten-en-stekken/koolkraag/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags