roots rotting

Community Community Garden Problems Disease roots rotting

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I found that about 2/3 of my parsnips and onions, both from dug and undug beds, had rotted from the bottom of the root up. I harvested the whole lot in July before I lost the whole crop. The parsnip were magnificent in June and started wilting near the end of June, I pulled the wilting ones up and the whole root had rotted away.

In August I noticed two chicory (for forcing) wilting in the parsnip bed, same story. Two plants left in the row who seem to be doing fine.

Is this a disease in the ground? Does it spread by mulching with the tops? How to avoid it?

charles

This is alarming! Something wrond with site and/or underlying soil.

Is it your garden or an allotment? What is the plot’s history? eg always garden, or building site or? Were crops and growth ok last year?

Because the rotting happened in dry weather, it does not sound like a drainage problem, though where are you in fact?

this is an allotment site which I have had for 3 years. This is the first time this has happened. Before I had the plot it was an allotment for more than 20 years.

The soil in the plots around mine is 20cm higher as they have added compost over the years and evidently my predecessor did not. Soil underneath is clay. I started with manure, straw and compost in raised beds four years ago in November, then added straw/compost for mulch. The bed in question did not have straw on this year. It was dug and had peat added by a friend who I lent it to for the first two years. He had mixed crops in it which seemed to do fine, though he hardly harvested. I added a layer of municipal compost for this season.

There is occasionally standing water in another part of the allotment but my raised beds are above the “waterline”. I do not think problem was damp, like I said they looked great and then suddenly wilted. This was beginning of August (I just checked the dates)

I am in Switzerland, Lake Geneva region, and the carrots for sale here have to be kept in the fridge or they will get slimy black splotches and rot, is this related?

Anyway I really want to know if sheet composting (I just cover all the debris with compost and sow into that) poses a risk of the disease returning.

charles

I am puzzled by your root rotting and wonder if you had a wet summer? If it is not simply related to soil moisture, then I don’t know the disease or soil parasite causing it.

Dark splotches on washed carrots can happen to most roots after they are kept for too long: I think it is normal, fungal rotting, part of the decay process. It is more sensible for roots to be sold with a little soil on, then they keep much better. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags