Rosa rugosa suckers and shoots

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Rosa rugosa suckers and shoots

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Tangutica
    Participant

We have a new allotment on half a plot and want to start no-dig. Our neighbour on the other half doesn’t spend much time on her plot, and she has a big Rosa Rugosa which is running rampant. There are rose shoots coming up through the grass in the communal path, and they’re getting pretty close to our planting area.

What’s best to do? I’m thinking that membrane/cardboard/mulch won’t be holding these shoots back…

(To any keen eyed observer – yes, this is a duplicate – I got a bit confused between two similar websites and I’m not sure how the two are linked)

charles

A frustrating invasion. Cardboard along the edge will slow them down, and bring new suckers close to the surface where you can pul them out.
    Cutting the grass path as short as possible will reduce their vigour too.

Tangutica
    Participant

Thank you Charles – we will persist.

Cleansweep
    Participant

This is a variety that will root easily when buried. Why not extract the shoots as “irishmans’ cuttings, pot on and produce a supply of new bushes that could be used, given or sold to defray costs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags