rust and fava beans

Community Community Garden Problems Disease rust and fava beans

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

zuf
    Participant

Hello all, i’m looking for tips about fava beans and rust that appeared a week or two ago. They are now completely brown, not dry, but with brown powder all over the plants. Pods still look healthy with a bit of powder coming from leaves. I would like to save some seeds. We already freeze most of it. Now we are waiting for the rest (still a lot) to ripe completely so we can store them dry and also to have them for seeds. Do you think it can work or should i go and harvest now so i will have more benefit from the plants? Thank you so much for any tip you can give me!

charles

Hello Zuf, I wonder of your weather has been dry in Slovenia because I have found that this rust is more common when plants are low in moisture. Its too late to change anything now and I think that if the leaves are all brown, no more growth is happening and you may as well harvest the pods.

bluebell
    Participant

Interestingly this year has been quite dry and having heard you mention the theory that rust is linked to low moisture levels I have been watering my garlic, every year to date I have had rust on it – this year nothing.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Bluebell, good to hear that your garlic has grown rust free for once. Despite watering during dry patches, in an attempt to limit rust, mine suffered badly this year and I pulled them out about three weeks ago. Still obtained a good yield, just not quite as good as it may have been. Perhaps next year here in Yorkshire….

bluebell
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Stringfellow. I now have the happy problem of not knowing when to lift my elephant garlic as previously it has always been dictated by the rust!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags