Salad crops and E coli etc

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Salad crops and E coli etc

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  diggernotdreamer 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, new to this forum and the salad book is now going to be purchased. I am in the process of setting up a small farm business in Southern Ireland, growing unusual and interesting leaves, veg and cut flowers. I have always used my composted manures. It is from hens mainly with a bit of alpaca mixed in. The hens are bedded on shavings and this is then composted down for usually a year. I apply the compost into my polytunnel beds and then cover the area with newspaper and plant the transplants through, I find it keeps the leaves cleaner. I am concerned about E coli and poisononing people, would I be better off just using worm compost for salads or am I just being a bit paranoid, have eaten my own stuff for 20 years and I’m not dead yet. Can’t find a definitive answer to this anywhere, would be really grateful if anyone could help. Thanks

charles

Welcome to the site, probably there is nothing on this as nobody has suffered a problem, I don’t know except that like you I have been growing leaves in surface composted soil and there have been no health problems, quite the opposite with people loving the leaves so much, and I eat loads.

I have a feeling that there is misunderstanding about bacteria in soil, which is stuffed full of them when healthy – as we are too – and your composted hen manure should be full of beneficial microorganisms.

Thank you for your quick reply, has put my mind at rest. Going out now to talk to my microorganisms and thank them for all their help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags